AGM

An area for members to chat about pretty much anything allotment related!
Generalsecretary

Re: AGM

Post by Generalsecretary » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Well said Woodfarm64. The problem is so many people have an opinion but no one makes a stand. Please if anyone of you feel you can add value to the association but don't feel you can stand for any of the positions then let me know your ideas . This is your association and we are trying to change it but can only do that with your help and support. I am happy to take anything you want raised to committee or perhaps it's time we started inviting people who have valid points to join us for the evening and get your point across. We are here to represent you. We may not be able to change everything but we can give it a damn good go. You all know my email address secretarygyandgaa@hotmail.com. use it to give us your ideas and say what you would like to see change. I will always do my best if it is for the greater good of the association.

Spud king

Post by Spud king » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Well said just needs people to step up to the mark and be open with there opinions so things can change for the better

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:18 am

How I agree with Woodfarm64 and the General Secretary. The present committee have a significant number of representatives who consider that the association exists solely for the benefit of those who have retired - e.g. the outings recently have been on a weekday to Sandringham Flower Show, which means that working people would have to take time off if they wanted to go. They fail to see that without welcoming younger members, the future of the association looks bleak. The reluctance of some to embrace modern technology is sad and I believe there are some who take it upon themselves to restrict the information they pass on to its site members. Not exactly what I expect from a Site Representative! I have been on the committee in the recent past, and know that all the work required to run this association effectively - and it is a large association - is carried out by the General Secretary and the Treasurer, with precious little practical imput from anyone else. These people are volunteers too, and while they do receive a nominal annual payment for their work, it in no way reflects the amount of time they spend doing it. Bear in mind that these people have their own lives to lead and in some cases also have a full-time job. I was among the youngest committee members, in my early 50s at the time. It was suggested that to save postage, the minutes of the meetings would be distributed by email. Two problems: 1) not all members had a computer and 2) one member who did, was aghast at having to print off the minutes and wondered if the association would pay for his paper. Whilst we are dealing with people with this kind of mindset, its going to be an uphill struggle.

JanetM

Post by JanetM » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Sweetpea, anybody could have put themselves forward as site management reps, unfortunately, less than half the sites had a nominee and only one nominee was someone 'new'. Most tenants are just not interested, their attitude is 'I just want to get on with my garden' without a thought as to how the association is run. I assume the reason that most/all of the committee members are retired is because those with jobs don't want to spend their free time attending meetings?? I don't know, you would have to ask them. If you have any ideas for an outing next year, why not put them forward, in fact, why not put yourself forward as a management rep again? I agree, we need new blood, but any ideas how we attract it?

muddy

Post by muddy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Just wanted to wish the Treasurer and the now General Secretary all the best at the AGM. I think you have both done a great job and can finally see stability in the association for all us members. You have our backing all the way. Good luck to the new General Secretary as well . Met the bloke a couple of times and gave me loads of advice. These people are exactly what we needed and remain to need if we keep going in this direction.

whitegates

Post by whitegates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 pm

I have to agree with you Muddy. Heard the most ridiculous thing the other day. I've heard jc was trying to stand for vice chairman and management of whitegates. God help us all. Can you remember when he was Generally Secretary. It might only have been for a short time but what a mess he made of it. I can see it all happening again with the onew who's applied for Chairman. What a disaster waiting to happen is all I can say. So Good luck to the two woman who have got us this far

muddy

Post by muddy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Agreed and let's face it we all backed a chairman who did a runner as soon as work needs to be done. He was a waste of time and votes them two stick with it

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm with you all the way. There is no way I'm voting for that Bowles on tar works either. The whole place will fall into ruins if he's voted in. Having seen the changes so far I am definitely voting for the General Secretary to be chairman. If the other one gets in I'm giving up. Peaceful allotment life would be ended if that happened. COME ON YOU LOT OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE WHAT'S IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE IF HE GETS IN

JJ Kale

Post by JJ Kale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 pm

I've never met this Bowles chap, so what's he done that is so bad the place will be in ruins. I was thinking of going to the AGM but it sounds like you lot will turn it into a shouting match.